Most dogs love the outdoors and can’t wait to have fun with you in the fresh air. No matter what breed or size your pup is, outdoor play with high-quality outside dog toys is a great way to bond with your dog as well as have them socialize with other people and animals.
The other bonus of outdoor play is that it allows your canine companion to burn off excess energy, so they are not using their extra get up and go to ruin the interior items in your house, or to dig under the fence.
Bonding, socialization, positive activity and keeping fit are all great reasons for your dog to have fun with outdoor toys.
While your pup probably loves walks or hikes, sometimes it’s a nice change for them to have toys that they can play with that let them either interact with you or other dogs.
There are also outdoor toys that challenge your dog to use both their mental and physical attributes while having fun. Any of the outdoor toys you choose should have some specific characteristics.
Outdoor Toy Characteristics:
- Must stand up to the natural elements– toys will not only be used for play by your pup, but they often get left out in the yard and need to be able to withstand the rain, snow and whatever else Mother Nature throws at it
- It does not absorb dirt– many dogs love to bury things along with chewing on them in the gardens, grass, and dirt. Being dirt resistant is a good characteristic.
- Does not attract bugs– there is nothing worse than picking up a toy that has creepy crawlies attached to it.
- Washable– anything that can gather dog slobber and outdoor debris needs to be washable. It needs to be easy to wipe down or throw in the washing machine for a quick clean.
- Able to be in the water – if you’re playing around a pool, pond or puddle then the toy needs to be water resistant. Chances are if it’s a toy that can be carried by your dog, it will end up in the water at some point.
- Size appropriate – your pup needs outdoor toys that suit their size. Buying a toy with large tennis balls or one that is made of heavy rubber is fine for a large or giant dog, but a toy or miniature dog will not have much fun with something they can’t carry or get their mouths around.
Good Outside Dog Toys
Dogs of all sizes and breeds love to be active and spend time outdoors. Each dog has their own personality and will enjoy different amounts and types of activity. Whether they enjoy short walks, long hikes or simply playing in the park, a few outdoor toys will engage them with different kinds of mental and physical stimulation.
By purchasing good quality toys, you know they will last and keep your pup engaged repeatedly. Having these fun outdoor toys will help get your dog to engage with you while also keeping them healthy and fit.